"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, December 2, 2013

Another Week of Teaching, and Therefore Learning

Thanksgiving here was... good. I don't know. It kind of sucks being a missionary on Thanksgiving. Even though people say that you're welcome to come over, there's still that awkward, I-don't-really-want-you-to-come-because-I-want-to-spend-it-with-my-family-and-just-my-family-but-I'll-invite-you-to-be-nice vibe that went around. We had dinner at a member's house and it was super good!  We then went to a few other member's houses and visited for a little bit then went home and weekly planned. Super exciting.
The big lesson I think I learned from this week would probably be the difference between "know" and "believe". Believe is more of riding on the coat-tails of the testimonies of those around you where as knowing is that you've experienced it for yourself. I always knew that, but we were teaching Jenny about prayer last night and it was kind of solidified in my brain.
We also got the chance to teach the young women on Sunday. It was a really good lesson about the gifts of the spirit. We had a really open discussion and just went around the room and talked about what gifts each of them had. I love all the young women here. They're awesome! That reminds me, I talked to them and I talked to Hna. Cuevas (the YW president) about doing the pen pal thing and they're all super excited to do it. So lets get that going. How does Dad want to do it? send all the letters to our home address or their own personal addresses? Let me know! There'll probably be about 1 Iowa young woman to 4 of California young women because our young womens program is huge. And they're combining with the English ward in January. So it'll be twice as big. Super exciting!
This week Hermana Harris and I are going to work super hard on finding people. We've decided to keep track of all the people we talk to, like we did in the Riverside mission.  We're praying really hard for finding opportunities and the faith to actually talk to the people that we come in contact with. We'll see how it goes. Super excited though!
Well, I hope everything is peachy and amazing in Iowa! It was 70 degrees yesterday. How's the snow? :)

We're twins! This is Sister Gillespie, she's one of my roommates. It's her first transfer in the field. Cute.
Then it's me and Sister Harris on my birthday!
Sorry these pictures are a little late but my card reader doesn't work with these computers and Sister Gillespie is letting me use hers.
ALSO!!! I almost made contact with Mel the other day. As in the Elders from the Pioneer ward (which is the ward that Mel's parents go to) came up to me and was asking me about her. Apparently the talked to Brother Borrowman about it and he tried to call her but she didn't pick up. I thought it was funny.
Hermana Myers

I asked: Are the other sisters in your apartment English speakers or spanish?

Hermana Myers answer:They're English. It's really funny telling them stories because we are seriously serving in two different worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment