"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, December 9, 2013

Seeing things in the Lord's Way

HOLA!!!

Need these answered:(questions I asked in my email)
1. Are you getting transferred?
2. Your companion’s name?
3. Did I give you all those mug recipes?
4. Names of your other roommates?
5. Should I just send your package directly to you at the Barton Rd. address.?
 
Questions answered
1. Nope! I did switch zones again though and Sister Mickleson is in my zone again!! Yaaay!!!
2.Hermana Harris
3. I think so... I don't know what mug recipes you're referring to exactly... I know I have a few.
4. Sisters Gillespie and Parkin
5. Please send it to the office. I don't want to get in "trouble" again... ;).
 
I love the nativity! Hermana Harris got a Peruvian one from her family. It's all knitted and cute. Spoiler alert. Hermana Harris and I are making a fireplace and Christmas tree out of construction paper. It'll be awesome!
 
Big news in the Lugonia branch! Our branch president got released! (Not that I'm excited to have Presidente Cuevas released, but I'm excited to see what happens with the new presidency). The new president is Hno. Green. I don't remember how much I've told you about him, but we love him! And Hno. Urena is the first counselor and Hno Cantu is the second. Hno Cantu is actually the brother of one of the members I knew in the desert that we would have breakfast every Sunday at his house. And his nephew was the branch secretary in the desert. They're great! I love the Cantus!
 
The super exciting thing about all of this is that Hermana Harris and I now get to go to all the less-actives we've been working our butts off to get back to church, but they said no because of the presidency, and call them out and say, "Hey! New branch president! This means you're coming back to church, right?" It'll be a good time.
 
I think the biggest thing this week was when we went and were teaching our investigators Jenny, Gabi, and Katy. They're all teenage girls and it's been a rollercoaster teaching them (I'm so glad I'm not a teenage girl anymore). They all go to another church, I believe it's Evangelical but I'm not 100% sure. They have a problem with the Book of Mormon and refuse to read it but they want to keep learning. We taught them a couple of weeks ago about the Plan of Salvation and they really liked it. This week we decided to talk about the priesthood because the idea of a patriarticle blessing (which was talked about in Young Womens one time) interested Jenny. With our lesson on the priesthood we emphasised how you can't really pick and choose what you want to believe. If you believe in the Plan of Salvation, then you must believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet to whom it was revealed, and if you believe that, then you should believe that the Book of Mormon is true, right? And then we told them to pray about it. They're progressing in their own way but we've made leaps and bounds with them. They also came to a baptism this Saturday so we're really hoping that that made an impression on them.
 
We also found a new investigator! Her name is Claudia. She's super nice and polite and doesn't talk a whole lot, so that's nice! She's really smart too, so it'll be interesting teaching her. She definitely has her head on straight. We're excited to get to know her a little bit more and hopefully help her make her way to baptism!
 
We talked to 31 people. Wasn't quite the awesomeness I was hoping for, BUT it's better than nothing. I pretty much did most of the talking anyway. Sister Harris is a little shy sometimes.
 
Oh yes, I learned how to make tamales... kind of. I didn't learn how to make the maiz, because that was already pre-made and apparently you can buy it at the store... but I know how to fold and cook them. (Best Christmas present from Hermana Myers to me, the knowledge of making tamales!!!!!)We did that on Wednesday.
 
GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT!!!!! After being in Redlands for 4 months, I FINALLY met the Borrowman's!(the parents of a former roommate at BYUI) And the best part was, it wasn't even really a lot of going out of our way and stuff to try to meet (or re-meet, I guess... I have met them once before) eachother, we just ran into eachother at church on Sunday. The Elders that know them told them I was here and they talked to our Elders who then found me! Yay! So that was super exciting! Apparently Mel(the former roommate) is coming home for Christmas! So maybe I'll see her too! But again, not going out of my way to see her and not completing my missionary purpose, but her parents conveniently go to the same church building as my branch.
 
Dad, that's awesome about the family history discovery! Ken's story: Dad here - I just had an amazing breakthrough on genealogy. My great great grandfather was in an orphanage in Wisconsin in the 1860s. I always assumed it was the result of a Civil War casualty. I have been researching this side (Hazen - my Dad’s mother’s side) since before you were born. Well a couple of weeks ago Mom and I went to the Temple and did his endowments. I mentioned that now I’d get help unraveling the mystery. Well today after Church, Mom was napping and Carter had a couple friends over. I was sitting at the computer and thought I’d try one more time (literally have done it a hundred times). What pops up? An entry from the 1930 census where he was living with his granddaughter in Las Vegas. I recognized her name since she was my grandmother’s sister. The next search took me to the 1910 census where I found him again, this time in Wisconsin with his wife’s name! I also found that both his parents were born in New York. His wife’s parents were born in England and France respectively. This is huge! It has taken me over 20 years to find this and it is all because the records have finally been indexed and searchable by computer. It is all part of God’s work. My daughter is bringing light and salvation to those living in SoCal and I am extending it to those who have passed on!  Love, Dad 
So if he was in an orphanage, are you finding his birth parents or his adopted parents? How does that work with family history? I'd like to get into it a little when I get home, but we shall see. It's always interesting hearing the stories, at least.
 
One more thing: I believe the youth are writing their letters this Wednesday. They should be sending a letter introducing themselves and a picture. Hope all goes well! I'll be able to see this out a little now that I'm staying in Redlands again.
 
Well, I love you all!!
 
See you in a little over 2 weeks :P.We get to Skype on Christmas day which will mark Hermana Myers 1/2 way point in her mission!
 
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment