"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, November 4, 2013

Enjoying the Many Facets of Missionary Work

Hola Familia!
 
I have no idea how many Spanish sisters are in my mission. Sorry. I thought I knew most of them... but then I remember there's San Bernardino missionaries in the mix too. Yes. Sister Harris came out in August. She was a San B missionary...kind of. Her mission call said San Bernardino but as far as mission president and map it had President and Sister Van Cott and the Redlands mission. I don't really know why they didn't just call her to the Redlands mission, but oh well. She was roommates with Sister Stevenson in Banning though so we swap stories. It's great!
 
I'm more interested to see how it's going with Hermana Bates and Fogg than jealous. I think it'll be commical. I didn't really understand your taxes talk, but it sounds exciting! :)
 
So this week:
 
Monday- We pretty much ran around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to see everyone that Hermana Bates wanted to see and get her all packed and everything. We went over to the Rodriguez's and told Cassandra that I was leaving and not Hermana Bates. Cassandra almost cried. Oops.
 
Tuesday- We all (everyone getting transfered) met up at the mission office and switched cars/companions. I met up with Sister Harris and I also got to see Sister Mickelson and Davis, Elder Jex, Woolf, Darro, and Halloway so that was exciting. It was almost like an awesome zone reunion. We walked in to check mail and President came up to talk to us. Before I looked at him he asked if we liked his new look. When I turned to look I was surprised to see the whole left side of his face completely swollen. Apparently he had an absess tooth. Great first impression on those new missionaries. :). After that it was pretty much going around to all the important people in the branch so Sister Harris could meet them.
 
Wednesday- We talked pretty boldly to Hermana about church that day. I compared her to the mothers of the stripling warriors and how she needs to be the example. She has such a strong testimony and it's super sad that she's not doing everything she can to keep it. We also talked to another Hermana about testimonies. Hermana Cuevas the recient convert, not the branch president's wife. She's so sweet though. She's a little old lady we visit during the week. Anywho.
 
Thursday- We got broken up with. One of our investigators, Juana, decided she'd rather study with the Jehovah's Witnesses than us. A little sad but it's her choice. Sometimes agency is lame. We also tried to do some Family History with Josh. We met him at the FHC and tried to get him all registered and everything. It didn't quite go as planned... after he got registered and everything, he couldn't remember his user name and because we used his membership record number, we have to figure out that specific username. But when we did the "Can't remember your user name" thing, a different email popped up. Then, to make it even better, when we tried an alternate route, his membership number wasn't matching up with his birth date. Merh. But that's okay. We'll get it all figured out eventually. We also had a bit of an awkward Halloween experience. We planned to go a little early to go see all the Halloween houses we helped set up but ended up running a little behind. The place was packed. And people kept giving us weird looks and then would make some comment about how they couldn't tell if we were real missionaries or not. I guess I didn't realize how many people dress up as missionaries for Halloween. BUT on the way over there, we were walking and this guy was sitting out on his porch so we were good missionries and talked to him. We made jokes and light conversation then left. On the way back to our car after the already awkward Halloween tour he yelled to us that he had a question. He then asked if we were even over 18. We said yes and he said, "Oh, good. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hitting on someone that was under age." We walked away as quickly/casually as possible.
 
Friday- Sad news. V moved to Arizona :(. That's really all that happened on Friday was we said goodbye to her. Sad, sad day.
 
Saturday- This morning we got to clean and be pioneers. We cleaned someone's house in the morning. I love this family to death. Saturday was also Redland's 125th Anniversary so they had this HUGE extravaganza. I was really surprised at how much community loyalty Redlands has. It kind of reminded me of Stars Hallow in Gilmore Girls, but at a larger scale. All of the Redlands area missionaries had to go and do service. Me and Sister Harris got to dress up as pioneers and teach people how they did laundry. It was super fun!
 
Sunday- We talked to Josh about a mission again. Sister Harris shared her experience with the mission and I think we've lit a spark. He's going to pray about it! I think he's still scared though, which is totally understandable. We then met his huskey, Shade, whom I had seen but never really played with or anything. SO pretty. I want a huskey.
 
Well, I think that's all! Keep up the missionary work! You're doing great!
 
Mucho amor,
 
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment