"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, October 7, 2013

Conference Highlights


Hola Familia!
 
I was going to spend this week talking about my thoughts about conference... but I left my notes in the car. So there won't be as much detail as I would've liked and there will be a lot of "I don't remember who said it, but..." so... just be aware.
 
First off: mind=blown. That was an awesome conference! I took 4 pages front and back and a 5th page of only front of notes. It's amazing how much you get when you're actually paying attention. I don't know why I didn't start going to all four sessions sooner.
 
I think my favorite talk was Elder Christofferson's. Women are kind of amazing. After that I was just sitting there thinking, "Does this mean I need to go home and get married?" Then put that thought in the back of my mind and said all that advise can wait a year, right? I also like that after all that praise towards women and all that, he made sure to mention that it doesn't leave men out. They still have a responsibility. It was super good.
 
I also really liked Elder Holland's talk. It was different to have a conference talk about depression, but it was super good. And all the things he talked about can apply whether or not you're actually experiencing depression. The way I see it, even if you're not, you can still take that advise and just make your life better anyway.
 
Elder Bednar's was also a favorite of mine. I've always liked him most because he was president of BYU-I, but I just liked how he talked about the significant but subtle blessings of tithing. I never really thought about it before. It's nice to have it pointed out because now when we teach people about tithing, we can say more than just, "Yeah! Tithing is great! It'll help your life so much!" I pay my tithing, but I've never really noticed the blessings. I just did it because I knew I was supposed to but after that talk, I've realized some of the blessings I've received from it.
 
I also liked Elder Hale's talk. It was a nice reminder of how important conference it.
 
President Uchtdorf's was also good. I never really realized just how much time the church takes from our lives, but it never really has mattered to me. And it's really not that much time for me anyway. I'm giving up 18 months of my life to serve the Lord. Only 18 months. It seems like forever now but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not at all.
 
That's all I can really remember for now. Sorry! Happy early birthday to Carter and Dad!
 
I've tried to send pictures the last few weeks but it's not really working. But I found a Batman onesie complete with cape at Wal-Mart! I tried to take pictures but it's probably the coolest thing I've ever found there. They also have a Supergirl (which is lame because it's pink and not red), the donkey from Winnie the Pooh (can't remember the name off the top of my head. Sad.) and Minnie Mouse. The super heros have capes, the donkey and mouse have ears. It's awesome. They also have a Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Robin, and Harry Potter t-shirt complete with capes. Wal-Mart is getting creative with their clothes.
 
I think that's all.
I love you!
 
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment