"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, August 26, 2013

She is Putting on Her "Big Girl Pants"


So this week, looking back, seemed to last for forever. These stories I'm about to tell you seriously feel like they're a month away. BUT here we go:
 
I've been told by 2 people that I look French...? I'll take it, I guess, but I know that just makes Dad all warm and fuzzy inside.
We were driving to dinner on Monday and people kept cutting Hermana Bates off. Finally she explodes in a, "WHO DRIVES LIKE THIS?!?!" And I just laughed. Welcome to California, I guess. Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I can drive like a Californian now. Safely, of course.
 
Sadly on Tuesday we had to drop Esmiralda. She was an investigator that we were going to get baptized right before I came here but postponed. We've been trying to get in with her a lot since I've been here but she would always cancel. Tuesday was kind of the last straw. We pulled the "You have our number, call us when you want us to come over" card and left, a little steamed but still happy.
 
Wednesday was multi-zone. It was awesome. It gave us a bunch of new ideas on how to succeed and all that jazz. I was actually a little scared to tell President exactly what we were doing, just because I can't read him and I figured his focus would be on finding. BUT turns out we're ahead of the game because all he talked about pretty much was working with members and getting them excited about missionary work and trying to get less actives back. Boom.
 
We had an interesting planning session on Thursday. Long story short (and I only say that because I honestly don't remember half the stuff we talked about) but we decided that we "need to put our big girl pants on" and get over this whole we-don't-know-what-we're-doing thing and just suck it up. So we're slowly getting out of that mindset.
 
Oh yeah. Apparently there was supposed to be a dust storm on Thursday. There definitely wasn't. We also got a flash flood warning yesterday. Again, nothing. Such is weather in Redlands, I guess.
 
On Friday we went on exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. Hermana Bates stayed in Redlands and I went with Sister Young up to Highland. It was awesome! We started the day off by visiting a family. Pretty much everyone is new to the ward because the sisters got whitewashed in and they just realigned the new boundaries of the ward. But we went over and got to know Sister Contreras. She's sweet and has an adorable 5-month-old. It was mostly her and me talking. I don't really know if Sister Young is shy, but I did most of the talking that day. We then went and taught this lady named Diane. She had a stroke not too long ago but her and another lady, Robin who also had a stroke, are apparently inseperable. Anywho, we only taught Diane because Robin didn't want to come out, which was weird, I guess...? Anywho, we taught them the Word of Wisdom. It was great because they both smoke and there was a little incident the day before with one of their daughters yelling in during the lesson about them asking 18-year-olds for crack. Oops. Anywho, we taught the Word of Wisdom and it actually went really, really well. After, I saw a pack of cigarettes on the coffee table and was super tempted to grab them and throw them out, but I figured I didn't know them well enough and didn't want to ruin things for the other sisters. Sister Young said she was going to call them every day though. Haven't had an update yet. Next we went and saw a lady who's name was Donna Bouldin (sp?). This was fun because we walk in and Sister Young says, "Hi! We're the new sisters from your ward and we just wanted to come by and get to know you!" Donna replied with a nice, "What ward? I don't go to church anymore. Haven't since I came to California." The smile on Sister Young's face disappeared and we stood there awkwardly for a few seconds and I said, "Well, we wanted to come get to know you anyway!" So we sat down and started talking. Turns out (small world) she's from Lovell, born and raised, and her dad would herd cattle up into the mountains and would take groceries to the sheep hearders. So we talked about Lovell and Powell and Cody and Wyoming in general. She then said we could stop back whenever we wanted. Was I supposed to be in Highland that day or what? Bridge mended. We then went and saw Karena and Lisa. They're mother and daughter and they both have a condition where they slur thier words so it's kind of hard to understand. We get in there and we kind of ended up "splitting" (no worries, we were within feet of eachother). Sister Young talked with Lisa (the mom) about the scriptures and I talked with Karena about charity. It was great! THEN! We went and visited this lady named Lynn . We knocked on her door and she said we caught her at a bad time because they were getting ready for a big party the next day. RIght away I asked if they needed any help and she thinks about it for a bit then asks her daughter-in-law (and I can't remember her name because it was Swedish) but she came to the door and said that they didn't really need help and didn't want to have too many people in the kitchen. We said our goodbyes and sadly walked away. Then when we were sitting in the car, trying to figure out who we were going to visit next, we see Lynn come walking out the door and down to our car. She then tells us to come on in and we can snip string beans. So we sat and talked to these two lovely ladies and snipped 15 pounds of string beans. It was amazing. And I'm now a pro at snipping green beans.
 
Saturday we went and had a lesson with the Paredes family. We did the leap of faith which is where a person is blind folded, standing on a board, and holding onto the person in front of them. Two people on the side then lift of the board and the person that is supporting the blind folded person bends their knees so the blind folded person feels like they're really high in the air. We then tell them to jump. It was great! Except Kelly hurt his back a little. Oops.
 
 On Sunday AMBER CAME TO CHURCH!!! That's Alma's daughter, by the way. Alma unfortunately wasn't able to make it because her other daughter was sick. Sad. We also got called Jesus' spies by a little boy (Ian) who's mom (Erica) we just picked up and has a boatload of potential. So we're excited to see where that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment