"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, August 12, 2013

Redlands Week 1

First off. New address:
(please contact me to get the street address, for safety reasons I'd rather not have it out on the internet.  This would be her exact address.  The one on the right still works, it just goes through the office first.  They don't read it they forward it.)
Redlands, CA 92373
Second. I would love that scarf. But just one for now. I've never had that kind of scarf so I need to experiment with one before I get more. What colors are there?(I sent her a picture of a scarf how to from JoAnns)
Third: We will work on the doctor thing this week. (Not too bad, only two months late)
Fourth: No, the temple is not in our area. We just split Redlands and we're on the other side of it. We cover half of Redlands, a part of San Bernadino and all of Loma Linda. We're in the Lugonia branch in the building on Pioneer. That's all I know about our area so far.
Fifth: I can't really tell yet if our branch is bigger here because we have a lot of less actives and not everyone that is active was there on Sunday. Yes, Hermana Bates has been here since she's been in the field. I don't think people here really make trips to Nauvoo.
Now. Buisness from Palm Desert (so from Monday to Wednesday)
These days were great. On Tuesday I packed and we went and played Life with Elders Christensen, Sloan, Woolf and Harp. Then went to B Dubs with the whole zone. That was awesome. Then Hermana Fogg and I went and visited people I wanted to say goodbye to (so the Sanchez's, Manuela and Fabian, and President Parks) at the church when they were having activities... and Manuela and Fabian's house. It was actually really funny because Manuela didn't think I was actually getting transfered because "we weren't taking it seriously". Our response to that was, "Manuela, when do we take anything outside of the Gospel seriously?" We then went to the church to say bye to the Sanchez's and that was fun/sad. I didn't really realize just how close I was to that family until I left. Hermana Sanchez was telling me that I was special and that they all felt closer to me than they had to a missionary in a long time. It made my heart all warm and fuzzy inside.(I think Chloe will be one of those missionaries that may not add up statisticly on paper as a missionary that moves and shakes up an area, but I know she will bring people unto Christ in more introspective ways. I am so grateful the Lord uses us and the gifts He gives us individually to accomplish His work.  We all need to obediently follow his commandments but we don't have to bring others to Christ in the same ways as some else.
Hermana Fogg and I also took epic desert mission pictures. (See attached)
Wednesday, the big exciting news we found out is that I'm not actually training. Holla.
Redlands time:
So our teaching pool, with the splitting of the areas, is a lot smaller now. BUT that's okay because we've decided to take a different look on missionary work and instead of focusing on trying to convert non members, we need to unify the branch because if they aren't unified, the people we help bring into the church won't want to stay. Plus, like I said before, we have a lot of less actives so if we can't even keep the members we have now, why should we be bringing in more, just so they can fall out of activity? SO. Yeah. That's our focus right now. Of course we're still trying to find people and all that, we do have four or five investigators, but our area goal for this transfer is to try to unify everyone. So this will be a lot of fun. I'm thuper excited!

Now, on Thursday, we met Olga...or Cecilia... or Maria... We're not really sure because she kept changing it...? But she was great. She's a little bit crazy... but she's great :).  I also got bit by a dog for the first time. Now all I need is to be on a bike and I will  be considered a real missionary. Just kidding. I have no clue. We also saw a chicken cross the road (ba dum chh). We also ate at a member's house on Thurday that had the biggest, meanest rooster I have ever seen. Needless to say, I avoided going out into the back yard... but I'm pretty sure it was watching me eat through the glass door.(for those who don't know we lived on a farm when Hermana Myers was younger in IN and there was a bantam rooster who would chase her all the time.)
On Friday we tried finding people. There was this one house that we could not figure out where in the world it was. It took us a good 20 minutes plus about 10 u-turns but we found it! Then no one was home... so that was a little sad... BUT we will try again another day and it won't take as long to find it.
I think that's it...
Oh yeah. Sadly, I haven't had a whole lot of extra time/energy to read Jesus the Christ. I have read a few chapters but I have a feeling I'm going to have to read it a few times before I can tell you anything that I learned. I read it and it's super interesting... and then I stop and it all goes away. So... yeah.
Kay, love you bye
Hermana Myers

I only got one package from Sandi. I am getting stuff from the office though

No comments:

Post a Comment