"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 1: California Redlands Mission


Hola Familia!
First off: You didn't say anything about picking me up in Cali.
In response to what you wrote:
I'm am good on clothes for the next few months! I actually was able to get a few from a sister that went home this transfer.
I thought it was July 17th that I had to get it done? Anywho, I'll get going on that.
Hermana Rosales is from Mexico City. She says about 10 minutes away from the temple but I don't know Mexico City very well so I couldn't tell you more.
THANK YOU FOR SENDING ME THE BABY NAME!!!! I've been wondering about that for awhile :).
We'll save the discussion about heat for later in the email...
I'm glad Carter's enjoying euph. It's a good instrument. Is Polly seriously done on Tuesday?! That's ridiculous! It went so fast. I wonder if it did for her too.
For the 4th of July we're having a party at our branch president's (President Parks) house. He's the one who had us over to Skype and he's the only other American in our branch. (Not sure if she means English-speaker or actually American.) So it's going to be a blast!
Thank you for sending the music and everything! We don't necessarily get bored of the same music, we just start thinking of other music from home that we could get. Were you able to find my CD case?
Also, from what I understand is you can send it(snail mail) to the Redlands mission home, but they won't forward it on so it would just be faster to send it to where ever I'm living. They also have the map of the Redlands mission up now. It's pretty much half
of the Riverside mission, with parts of San Bernadino.
Random question: Are you going to keep both my plaques up? Because that would be funny... Don't have to though
Now for my weekly adventures:
We volunteered at a dog kennel on Monday. That was interesting... I'm really bad at catching dogs, in case you were wondering. Also, we were walking around trying to talk to people and this family had a HUGE tortoise in their front lawn. WHAAAAT?!?!! It was great. Only in Cali. We also were walking to our car after visiting a member and three cop cars drove by. Low and behold, one block down there was a drug bust... only in Cathedral City... I also was playing on the play ground at the P-Day activity and fell and bruised up my leg pretty bad. First time I had gotten hurt on a play ground in a loooong time. And that was all on Monday. Phew.
Last picture with President and Sister Smart
Guess what I ate on Wednesday... If you guessed chicken foot soup and tacos de lengua, you would be correct. We always eat weird things at the Cardosos but it's always an adventure. And he's a really good cook. I like tacos de lengua... I can deal without the chicken foot. Oh yeah, we also OYMed a Jehovah's Witness... who thought we were Jehovah's Witnesses... awkward...
So on Friday we had the big mission split, mostly because that was the day that President and Sister Van Cott arrived. So that was when we had the big trainer/trainee meeting. We were saying goodbyes and guess what. President Smart hugged me. It was sweet but probably the weirdest thing that has happened to me on my mission. I was doing so well with the whole, no-contact-with-opposite-sex thing... but apparently he and Sister Smart got permission to hug the leaving missionaries. So it was great. I'm going to miss them.
Proof it really was hot in the desert on Saturday
So who wants to play guess how hot it was on Saturday? Anyone, anyone? I'll tell you: 122 degrees. I thought I was going to melt. And you know what doesn't go well with that kind of heat. Menudo. That's right. I, Hermana Myers, ate menudo. Ewwww. At the Cardosos too. Like I said, always an adventure.
Then there was yesterday. We were struggling to find the last few people we needed to talk to but we drove by a fireworks stand and saw a ton of people. Perfect opportunity, right? You would think so. We walked over and started talking to people, turns out the stand was run by a local Baptist church and this was all their youth and volunteers from their church... oops.
Anywho, hope everything is well in Iowa and everywhere else! Enjoy the pictures!
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment