"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, January 27, 2014

Fontana Fun

So this week was a bit of a roller coaster. Hermana Stevenson and I have been running around trying to get to know this area. We've met so many different people and families from all over the place. Before I forget, where did Dad live in Nicaragua? There's so many people from there, here it's ridiculous. Also, there's two girls from Queretaro. They knew all about JFK and Jurica and everything! Where was the church at, do you remember? Also, and you don't have to, but there are a few missionaries that have a handy-dandy pocket translator that they bought on Amazon. I would really appreciate one, but it's not necessary. I think they're $30-$50 if I'm remembering correctly from what Elder Christensen said.
 
Your weekend at the Greenhalgh's sounded like fun! I wish I could've been there to see Matthew give his talk, but I guess I'll be there for his homecoming. Plus I'll be closer to him while I'm on my mission than any of you will be. Muahaha.
 
So here's what went down this week:
 
We walked into our apartment on Wednesday, it's pretty nice considering elders lived in it before... then we opened the fridge. I don't even know what was caked onto the floor, but it resempled carmel. It took us a good 45 minutes to clean the fridge. (Okay, backstory quick. Elder Torgesen and Holloway have been here for a few transfers. I think this is their third? Anywho, they were in our area before and they lived in our apartment. They're now in a different part of Fontana but still in the ward) Elders Torgesen, Holloway and Richins (yup, they're in a trio) came over to pick up some of the stuff we brought home from the mission office for the elders on bikes. We asked them about the fridge and they said it had been like that when they got there. Gross.
 
Turns out, from asking around, we're about the first sisters that have been in this ward in 8 years. No pressure.
 
Apparently we teach English classes on Wednesdays and Fridays too.
 
We did a boatload of walking this week to try to get to know our area. Whilest walking we came across these people that were washing their car. We went over and were helping them out. Her name was Angelika and his is Christian. We were talking and having a good time, then this lady came out to get her mail from across the street. We waved and were nice. The next day we were trying to find a less active. Low and behold, it was the same lady that came out to get her mail. It was awesome!
 
We also talked to a less active who's name is Danny. Turns out he's only a year older than me, which is wierd because he looks like he's 30. I just can't gage ages, apparently. Anywho, he's super nice and we're really excited to work with him to get him back to church.
 
On Sunday, Hermana Stevenson and I got to talk. And I don't mean go up, introduce ourselves, bare our testimonies and sit down, no. This was a thought out, written down, had time to plan talk. I pretty much did an info-mercial on Preach My Gospel. It went really well! Then after church we had a huge meeting with all the leadership and their counselors to talk about this plan to reactivate people. We split up by three groups (there's three groups of missionaries) and each one of us got one of the leaders from each auxilary. We went through the ward list and picked out the people in our area, then talked about their level of activity, then set up times to go with members on Tuesday for the next three weeks to go visit them. We're pretty excited!
 
Everyone's super excited to have sisters. And you can tell that they're not really used to it because everyone only shakes our hands. It's funny!
 
Well. I think that's all.
 
Mucho Amor!
 
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment