"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Another Week, Another Growing Experience

So this week was pretty awesome full of major ups and downs.

I want to explain to those of you who may think the LDS church is too strict that I hope you can see the mercy and love that was shown to this missionary.  Discipline comes from the word disciple and is done out of love and concern to help and individual become a disciple/follower of Christ, not just in word but in deed.

First off, we found out on last Saturday that one of our zone leaders(a district of missionaries is about 6-8 with a district leader, and a zone is made up of 2-4 districts and has two zone leaders who report to the assistants to the president who report to the mission president) was going home early. It was a huge shock to a lot of us. We ended up having a meeting about it on Tuesday. We talked a lot about obedience. It was interesting to hear President's and Elder B's (our other zone leader) take on the whole matter. Apparently the elder had been breaking small, little rules that didn't seem very significant but then it got so bad to the point where he couldn't even sustain President as a leader. However, after many interviews and President trying his hardest to get him to stay and the elder himself making huge changes and going through a major repentance process to where he saw the wrong in his thinking, the elder decided he couldn't trust himself and went home. It just emphasized to me how important exact obedience is and how awesome it is to have the Atonement.

There was an earthquake too. Just a little one Tuesday night. That was exciting.(Glad I didn't know that!)

We had interviews with President on Wednesday. They usually last about 15 minutes... mine was 45. Oops. I had a lot of questions and received a mission father's blessing. It was really nice. Basically what I got out of it is that I do have enough faith and the fact that I started my papers (mission papers to be called on a mission), finished the process of filling out my papers, came on a mission, and am still here are evidence that I have faith. He explained to me a little bit more about Alma 32 and how if we so much as feel that something is true, we have a knowledge of it because we know that it's a good seed. He also told me that he wanted to send me to Borrego Springs (which is a little town in the middle of nowhere-ville) and be a Sister Training Leader. I have no clue what he was thinking. (See PS. below, this didn't happen this transferThe blessing was really nice too. He talked a lot about the gift of tongues and interpretation of tongues. And the blessings my family will receive from me serving. It was awesome.

We had stake conference too! It was piped in from Salt Lake. And our area 70 has asked all of the state of California to do a special fast in February for the drought. Conference was awesome though, a lot about missionary work. A story came up twice about two friends that have been working all day in one of their yards and they go in for a break, the owner of the house pulls out a nice cold glass of orange juice and starts drinking but doesn't offer any to his friend. The friend gets a little annoyed and asks for some and the other replies, "Oh, sorry! I didn't think you'd like it." or "I didn't want to offend you." Our stake president likes object lessons...

I think that was really all that happened this week. It was pretty intense!

Well, I love you all!

Hermana Myers

P.S. I'm getting whitewashed  into the Randal ward in Fontana with Hermana Stevenson. No STL for me!(this is missionary lingo for both missionaries in the companionship to leave the area and Hermana Myers and her companion Hermana Stevenson, one of her companions from the MTC, will both be new to the area.  Usually only one missionary from a companionship moves so that one missionary knows the area and the other can learn it but when you "whitewash" an area two new missionaries start a fresh and clean slate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment