"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble and calumny may defame but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent 'till the purposes of God have been accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done." -Joseph Smith

Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday is the best day!


I am having a great day, thank you! I was really happy the other day when I was looking through all my stuff, I found Mallory's address that I didn't think I had I started writing her a letter. It's about 4 pages long and I just barely started. I did get the GPS and I so very greatly appreciate it! I haven't gotten the letter yet but we haven't checked mail yet today so maybe today. We will see. We went to Wal-Mart to see if they could fix my camera but no luck and she said that she thought Best Buy wouldn't be able to either. Sad day. I'm perfectly fine with you sending out yours, if you don't mind! I love hand-me-downs :)!! Also, you can call the GPS my birthday present, I didn't realize it was going to be that expensive.
Speaking of birthday presents, I keep seeing all these vintage cars and trucks and I decided that when I get back I want to save up for an old Chevy. If you wanted to, you could call it my birthday/Christmas presents for the next five years ;). You really don't have to but I am going to start saving. I'm very jealous of your storms. I miss thunder storms so much! I wish they had a white noise machine that would do thunderstorms but have the lightning too. I think it's rained once since I've been here and it was for all of 2 minutes. Welcome to the desert. I would love more skirts if you have them! Also, I wouldn't object to you sending out my quilt either. I actually get cold now that this week it was only in the 90s (yeah, who would've thought that the 90s would be a relief). She will be getting a vintage 2001 Nissan Altima from Ken when she gets home!
Time for funny mission stories now!! We have dinner at the first counselor's house every Tuesday and he is a fabulous cook. Last week he was asking Hermana Chevalier what she wanted to eat for her last week here and she said she trusted him. Then jokes were made about eating the neighbors cat, then my worst fear happened. He asked if I had ever had menudo. I said yes and tried to keep a sincere smile on my face. He asked Hermana Chevalier if that would be okay and she said that she trusted him. I'm a little scared for tomorrow night's dinner. The true test of my lack of gag reflex that I'm supposed to develope on my mission. Wish me luck. Oh my for those of you that haven't had menudo, it isn't the boy band of the 90's it is sometimes called tripe.  When Ken and I were in Mexico we had it and I think it is an acquired taste that you grow up with, good for Hermana Myers if she can graciously handle this new experience. Look for another funny story next week.
Next we have probably the funniest rejection we've gotten so far. It's totally easy to tell when people are avoiding us, right? We knock on the door, someone answers, we ask for whatever person we have the return appoinment with, they say they're not sure, they go back to "check" then 10 minutes later the person's kid comes out and says they aren't home. Great. We're not stupid. So this was happening one day and there were these two little kids that we were playing with a little while the other people were "checking to see if their mom was home". Anywho, when her oldest daughter came back, we had already made friends with the little boy so when his sister said that their mom wasn't home he says, "My mom is actually home. I'll go get her. MAMA!!!!" And then he runs in to the back room to try to get his mom. It was hilarious because all the other adults that were in the house were trying to shut him up. We were just trying really hard not to laugh as we walked away. It was awesome. Not the getting rejected part. That kind of sucked.
It's been kind of funny, this whole language thing really is a problem. We've had two lessons since I've gotten here where we would challenge our investigator to baptism but they either didn't hear everything or they wouldn't understand the question so we'd get off subject. Something to work on, I guess. We also had a baptism yesterday. This family is amazing. The mom is so freaking hilarious and she's so cute. There's 7 kids and the 3 oldest got baptized. Their mom is this short, little tough woman but she was getting teary eyed during the baptism. So cute! Yay spiritual experiences!!
I think that's all though. I'll start making of list of things I want to tell you throughout the week so I don't forget. You would think that would be in my journal... oops.
Mucho amor!
Hermana Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment